Thursday, January 21, 2010

Journal 1.25.10

Visual Writing: Writer's toolbox

This reading will be helpful as a designer when brainstorming for a new project. There are several different tools explained to help get your brain thinking including mind maps, concept maps, freewriting, brainwriting, word lists, outlines, critiques, reflective writing and developing a journal or sketchbook.

I began by making a mind map of my book cover design concept: Italian Mafia.

The next suggestion was to do a concept map, which is just a deeper, more precise version of the concept map. I did not try this because I have already developed my concept previously. Instead I chose to do a freewriting exercise that I found more useful. After critiquing my work I realized that two of my titles are contradictory. I hope to use this in my design somehow.

Brainwriting is a more organized version of freewriting where you set up a grid and ask yourself specific questions about the audience, goal, and concepts of your project. A word list is like freewriting, but with only words. It is also like mind maps, but easier because you don't have to connect the words. They can be completely random and unrelated. It is just a way to get your thoughts and ideas out.


"Using private, "process" writing makes visual projects conceptually stronger, which ultimately leads to stronger "public" writing of materials problem-solving."

Do not question your mind map until is is completed.

Mind mapping is a tool to explore an idea and better understand a topic.

A more visual form of mind mapping is creating a mood board.

No comments:

Post a Comment